I am a major coconut barfi fan. It is a thing I share in common with my mother. So when I came across this super simple recipe to make it, I simply could not resist. I used desiccated coconut but freshly grated coconut would work wonderfully, I'm sure.
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
FREEZING TIME: About an hour
TOTAL PREPARATION TIME: 1 hour and 15 minutes
desiccated/ grated coconut - 1 cup
fine granulated sugar - 3/4th cup
milk - 1/2 cup
ghee - 2 Tbsp
cardamon powder - 1 Tsp
saffron (optional) - few strands
- Take the coconut in a shallow pan and dry roast for about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar & mix well.
- Mix the saffron strands in the milk and add it to the coconut and sugar mix.
- Add cardamon powder and mix.
- Add the ghee and continue mixing for about 8 to 10 minutes, till the milk is dried out and the mix separates from the pan.
- Remove in a dish or plate and flatten to make it like a square cake
- Freeze for about an hour.
- cut in to squares and serve